Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Chapter 21. The Centre of My World


Seth’s POV

“I’m off!” I yelled as I dropped the broom on the floor and quickly darted out of the door. I hid in the bushes behind our yard and held my breath. Leah appeared at the window few seconds later, cursing under her breath as her eyes scanned the house’s surrounding.

I let out a sigh of relief when she finally disappeared into the house. Quickly stripping myself down, I tied the clothes to the black band on my leg and turned into my wolf form, dashing off into the forest.

It was a beautiful day today; the sky was a rare baby blue. It would have been a good start to a lovely day, but now my mood was ruined by the devil sister of mine.

Stupid Leah. Made me finish all the house chores before I could leave the house. Now I’m running late for the party. I grumbled to myself as I dashed past the boundary lines.

It’s not my fault that I’m invited to the party. Leah got invited too, but she refused to go to a party with bloodsuckers. So she tried to keep me from going too, by making me do all the house chores. She had threatened to tell Mum that I had been skipping school for the past couple of days.

I hated it whenever she called the Cullens bloodsuckers. I mean, the Cullens were pretty decent people (okay, vampires). They did not hurt a soul. (Okay, they killed some vampires, but that doesn’t count. They were evil man!)

Yeah. Yeah. We all know how much you love those leeches. Now can you please shut up? Embry’s voice interrupted my train of thoughts.

Hey dude. Ever heard of privacy? Stay out of my head! I thought furiously. Now I’m getting more annoyed. There went the last of my good mood.

What privacy? Is this your first day as a werewolf? Oh, come on! Embry retorted back. I was about to take out my vexation on him when another voice appeared.

Alright you two. Stop squabbling. Sam disrupted our little war.

Seth, cool down before I pull you back for patrol duties. Embry, meet me down at Emily’s, Sam ordered.

Gotcha. Embry replied, and it fell silent again. Ah, finally. Peace and quiet. The wind blew past my fur as I ran through the forest. It helped to release some of my irritation. I was feeling better by the minute.

Forks slowly came into view. I slowed to a jog and stopped in the woods outside Chief Swan’s house. He was going to be discharged today, so Bella had thrown him a welcome back party. Okay, technically, it was Alice who had insisted on throwing the party, not Bella. Anyway, whoever the idea belonged to, I don’t really care. I’m up for anything that could get me out of the house; away from Leah.

Quickly phasing back into my human form, I got dressed and dashed across the road. I was about to knock the door when it suddenly opened, revealing a smiling Bella behind the door. She invited me in.

“Wow. It smells so good.” The whole house was filled the delicious aroma of food. My stomach growled. I had not eaten a single thing since morning. Dear Leah had made me work non-stop since the moment I had woken up.

Bella gave a quick glance over me, pursed her lips, and ordered me to wash up before I could have anything to eat. I grinned sheepishly in response as she went to rejoin others in the family room. I got a glimpse of the rest of the guests on my way to the kitchen. Alice and Edward were talking animatedly; Jacob was playing with little Nessie by the couch, with a slightly grumpy Chief Swan sitting beside them.

I frowned. Why was he looking all grumpy? He was supposed to be happy, now that he was finally discharged. Oh yea, I forgot Charlie was a party-hater like Bella. I snickered quietly to myself as I thought of the countless parties Alice will be throwing in the future. I absolutely loved going to parties, especially the ones thrown by Alice. Forks and La Push were pretty much like dead towns, nothing exciting ever happened. Without the parties, I would probably die of boredom.

I paused outside when I heard soft humming coming from the kitchen. I rubbed my hand in glee as I plotted out a scheme to scare the person inside. But before that could happen, I must know his/her identity. I took a sniff; and my forehead creased with confusion. It was not one of the Cullens, nor was it a familiar scent.

Who else’s invited? I thought, racking my brain for the names of possible guests. I was deep in thought when my focus was disrupted by a crash in the kitchen.

“Hey, everything okay in here?” I rushed into the kitchen, momentarily forgetting about my confusion and doubts. I found a girl in a white dress, kneeling on the floor. I took a step closer, and saw that she was cleaning up the remains of what seemed to be pasta sauce.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the girl snuck a peek at me. I caught a glimpse of her face as she hurriedly looked down and continued wiping the last of the spill. Her face was heart-shaped, with shoulder-length brown hair like Bella. Her skin was pale, but looked as smooth and soft as silk. I don’t know why, but I was attracted to this girl I had never met before. I wanted to lift her chin up, and get a full look at her face.

Don’t be ridiculous. You’ll scare her. I reasoned with myself. But yet, I couldn’t kill the growing curiosity and burning desire in me. Before I could do anything stupid to embarrass myself, the girl finished clearing up the mess.

“Yup, everything’s under control.” The girl finally looked up and gave me a smile.

“I’m such a klutz.” She giggled softly; her laughter was like the tinkling of bells, so pleasing to the ears. I gasped when I saw her beautiful face. She looked so much like Bella, alike enough to be her twin. She was beautiful, like an angel. But yet, it was more; her beauty was beyond words.

I couldn’t describe the feeling that was overwhelming me at that moment as I looked into those lovely, warm chocolate eyes of this beautiful angel. It was as if nothing else in the world matter anymore, I couldn’t see anything else besides this bright, shining star in my night sky. It was like she was the reason, the oxygen that had kept me alive.

It was the first time I had set my eyes on this beautiful stranger, and I knew with all my heart, she will be the reason of my existence from this moment on; the centre of my world.

***

9:12 PM