Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Chapter 20. Party


“Edward, I’m leaving. See you guys later at Charlie’s house.” Juggling three full trays of food in my hands, I gave a peck on his lips before dashing to the main house. I took Edward’s car again and left for Forks. Five minutes later, I pulled into the driveway of Charlie’s house.

“Hey Faith, it’s me!” I rapped impatiently at the door; we were running late. Charlie’s finally going to be discharged today, and we were supposed to pick him up. Another reason Faith had to be with me was because of the surprise welcome back party we were throwing for Charlie. And it comes to parties; Alice had to be in the equation. No was not an option. So in order not to give my cousin the fright of her life, I decided to take her along.

Faith opened the door at my fourth knock. I followed her into the kitchen. I put the trays of food down on the kitchen table and leaned against the counter. Faith was still busily preparing food for the party later.

“You don’t have to prepare so much food. You know, Alice and Edward don’t eat much.” I remarked as I watched her busied around in the kitchen.

“Better safe than sorry. And didn’t you say the Quileutes boys can eat a lot?” Faith dipped a spoon into the pan and scooped up a tiny portion. She tasted the pasta sauce she was cooking and her lips curved in satisfaction.

“Well, yes. But...” I was cut off before my sentence was finished.

“Okay. I’m done.” She announced, the dirty pots and pans clanked loudly as she dropped them into the kitchen sink. “Just give me a sec while I go and change.” She took off the apron she was wearing, threw it over the chair and dashed up the stairs. I heard the door slammed a few seconds later.

I sighed and shook my head in defeat when I turned and saw the mess she left the kitchen in. Unlike me, Faith was not particular about cleanliness. Not that I was a clean freak either. I still remembered the state of my room when I was still human. Clothes strewn all over the place, books lying in a pile on the floor, and homework scattered all over the desk. Well, I was a typical teenager then. But now, I’m somebody’s wife and a kid’s mother, so certain things changed.

I picked up the dish towel on the floor and did the dishes in slow human speed. But I was irritated by the slowness that I gave up after a minute or so. I was drying them and putting them back in place when I heard the staircase creaked. I slowed down my speed to the normal rate.

“Wow, you are so quick at cleaning. You should start a company.” Faith appeared at the doorway moments later, grinning. She was wearing her favourite dress, a knitted number with lacy hems, and a silk ribbon around her tiny waist which was finished as a bow. She looked completely different from the first time I saw her in the hospital; now more she's like the Faith that she used to be.

“Ha. Ha.” I laughed sarcastically as I put away the last of things.

“Let’s go let’s go! We’re late!” She shooed me out of the kitchen and into the car, excited that the party was only an hour away. But right now, we needed to get the key person back before we could do anything else.

She chatted nonstop on our way to the hospital, thrilled that she was feeling going to meet the Cullens and some of my friends from Forks. I smiled a little as I stole a glance at her from the corner of my eye. We looked so alike, but yet we were so different.

“Are you sure the house will be ready by the time we got home?” Faith asked; uncertainty in her voice. She had asked me this question for the umpteenth time today. She wanted to stay home and prepare the stuff for the party, but I reassured her that everything was taken care off. Faith was puzzled by my confidence and the amused expression on my face, but she did not question it.

Charlie was already waiting in the lobby when we reached the hospital. Carlisle had been kind enough to help me settle the administrative stuff for Charlie’s discharge, so I can avoid unnecessary contact with the hospital staff. He got onto the car and we chatted happily on our way back.

When I opened the front door, both of them were shocked to the extent their jaws were hanging wide open. The interior of the house had been transformed by the many party decorations put up by Alice. Truly, it was rather impossible to be done in such a short period of time. It had only been less than fifteen minutes since we left this place.

“Bella! Charlie! You’re home!” A super excited pixie-like girl rushed towards us, causing Faith and Charlie to take a startled step back. I, on the other hand, was expecting this so I took it rather well.

“Hey Alice. Let me introduce, this is...”

“Oh! You must be Faith! Bella had been telling me so much about you. We have so much in common. We should get to know each other better! Let’s go in!” Alice dragged a still surprised Faith into the house. Charlie just stood there, blinking in surprise, unsure of what to make out of the scene that had just took place in front of him.

"You'll get used to this someday." I patted his back lightly and he grimaced. I laughed and led him in.
***

As predicted, Alice and Faith hit off well. They were practically inseparable throughout the party, always talking about some upcoming fashion trends of this season. Jacob and Edward were having an intense discussion about cars, with a curious Nessie listening intently at their side. Everybody was enjoying themselves, well except for Charlie, who was slightly gloomy because of the surprise party.

“Well, I think everyone should be hungry. I’ll go get the food.” Faith announced and headed into the kitchen.

“Bella, I think you might want to go get the door. I think I hear someone coming.” Alice flashed a smile at me after a sudden glazed look in her eyes. She then interrupted the guys and began talking with Edward. Jacob and Nessie started to tickle each other.

I turned and walked out of the room. I opened the door and found Seth with his arm outstretched, about to knock the door.
“Hey, Seth. Come on in.“ I smiled and invited him in.

“Go wash up before you have something to eat. Kitchen’s over there.” I pointed him the direction and went to rejoin the others in the family room. I just sat down next to Edward when he suddenly took a sharp breath as his head snapped up and looked in the direction of the kitchen.

***

11:40 PM