Thursday, July 16, 2009
Chapter 12. Liz's Story


Alice and the rest had gone for the rest of the afternoon. Seizing the rare chance of Alice’s absence, I had gone back to the cottage to get some of my books, intending to spend the quiet afternoon reading in Edward’s room. I was so absorbed in my reading that I did not even notice when Nessie was back. I glanced at the clock in Edward’s room. It was already five in the evening. Closing the book, I went downstairs. I found Edward watching the TV in the living room.

“Where’s Nessie?” I asked as I planted a kiss on his cheek. Edward smiled my favourite crooked smile and glanced to his right.

Following his glance, I found Nessie on a chair, propped up against the window. Her mouth was in a pout as she watched the rain fell, washing away the last of snow in our front yard. She loved the snow so much; she was having fun building a snowmen family yesterday. But Forks being Forks, snow would not last that long.

Joining Nessie by the window, I brushed her hair absentmindedly as I watched the little raindrops fell and splattered on the ground. My attention was diverted by the Yellow Porsche pulling into the driveway.

Alice appeared moments later, carrying so many designer carriers that you would think she had bought everything off the shelves. I stared at the bags, calculating. It must be enough to get a house in Beverly Hills, I finally concluded.

“Alice, why don’t you buy the whole mall the next time you’re at it?” I remarked, rolling my eyes as I caught the few bags she threw to me.

“Oh, I wanted to, but Esme wouldn’t hear of it.” She simply answered. I just stared after Alice in disbelief, who was now happily skipping up the stairs. Rosalie followed behind her, leaving Lizabeth alone with us.

“We have not gotten the chance to thank you the other time.” Edward stood up and came to my side. He gave her a grateful smile.

“Please, just call me Liz.” She smiled, showing a dimple in her left cheek.

“This must be Renesmee. Rosalie told me all about her while we were shopping just now.” Liz smiled at her, who was now hiding behind Edward. Renesmee smiled shyly as she peeked out from under her hair. Edward bent down and carried Nessie. She placed her little palm on Edward’s cheek as she threw another shy look in Liz’s way.

“Yes Nessie. She was the nice lady I’ve told you about just now.” Edward answered. Nessie smiled, her eyes sparkling with excitement as she reached out for Liz.

“Hello, little angel.” She smiled fondly at Nessie. I watched as Nessie placed her palm on Liz’s cheek. I wanted to warn her but she did not seem to be surprised by Nessie’s gift.

“Of course, my dear. That would not be a problem for me.” Liz replied after a moment, and she turned and walked out of the front door. I threw a curious look at Edward as we followed behind them. He was simply smiling at whatever Nessie had just told Liz.

Liz set Nessie down in the front yard and glanced at the sky for a minute for two. I watched in surprise as the rain suddenly stopped and the clouds in the vicinity started to change. The rain from before started to freeze, coating the needles on the trees in incredible, stunning patterns. A snowflake landed on my open palm moments later.

“Look Momma! It’s snowing!” Nessie squealed in delight, as more snowflakes started to fall from the sky. Soon, the whole yard was covered in snow.

Liz smiled as she turned and walked towards us. Nessie was she dancing about happily, catching snowflakes in her little hands. We sat on the porch and chatted, while watching Nessie played.

After a long chat, we found out that she had meet Xavier at a medical school in London back at the late 1600’s. She was still human then; she had run away from home because she refused to agree to the arranged marriage. Most marriages were arranged back in those days; the girls had no right to choose their future husband.

Liz had resorted to working during the day to fund her school fees for the night courses she and Xavier attended. They had fall in love at first sight. Xavier was hesitant at first, because of their natural predator and prey status. He avoided her at all costs, wanting to keep Liz safe.

“He even changed class and disappeared for days to avoid me! But I was persistent, so he gave up in the end.” Liz laughed as I threw a meaningful look at Edward.

She continued, telling us interesting stories that she and Xavier had encountered in London. Her story took a drastic turn as she recounted the fateful night she was turned.

“I ended work early that day so Xavier wasn’t there yet. I was on my way to the cafe where I was supposed to meet him when I felt that someone was following me. I kept glancing back, but I couldn’t spot anyone.” Liz shuddered slightly as she recalled that tragic night. I wanted to ask her to stop if she was uncomfortable, but she continued on before I could interrupt.

“When I turned at the next alley, I saw this man, so beautiful that he looked like an angel; like my Xavier. Only, he did not have the same diet Xavier did.” She smiled bitterly at that memory before she continued.

“He was about to drain my blood when Xavier showed up. He tore my attacker apart in an instant, but he was still a step too late. His venom had gotten into my bloodstream. Three days later, I was just like him. Forever twenty-three.” Liz took a deep breath before continuing.

“Because I was bitten by a normal vampire, I couldn’t resist the scent of humans. Xavier had to take me out of town to avoid human contact. We lived roamed around for about few years before I could control my thirst. It took me a few more decades of practice before I could get used to this vegetarian diet.” She said, giving us a small smile.

“The newborn year was the worst.” Liz reflected in a small voice, looking down at her feet as she spoke. I could see her eyes were glistering from the venom. “I would go into rages whenever my thirst was not satisfied. Poor Xavier had it worst. He had to endure my tantrums; and my newborn strength was definitely not helping. It was the main cause of his injuries.” Her voice broke off.

I rubbed her back, trying to comfort her.

“Don’t worry. I’m alright.” She reassured me. She looked up to the sky for another minute and the snow gradually stopped falling. Rain took its place, drizzling lightly. Nessie glanced up in disappointment as she watched the sky slowly darkened with more rain clouds. She walked over to us with a glum face.

“Now there, Nessie.” Edward chided her gently as he scooped her up. “You had your fun. It’s time to go back in.” Liz and I followed behind as Edward headed back into the house.

Everyone was gathered at the living room when we came back. Liz glided over to Xavier, who was standing by the staircase. They exchanged a meaningful glance before facing us again.

“So, who’s up for some baseball? I heard you guys were pretty good.” Xavier smiled.

“Yes!” Emmett pumped his fist in the air, excited for some action. “Come on, let’s go! I’ll race you guys to the clearing!” He shouted and in a blink of an eye, he was gone. Everyone stared after him, astonished.

“I have not gotten the chance to finish my sentence.” Xavier blinked in surprise as he stared after the open door. “I was about to suggest the game for tomorrow.”

I tried to stifle my laugh but it was not working. Unable to hold it in any longer, I burst out in laughter and the rest joined in.

“Someone.... better... go... get him... back.” I managed to gasp in between laughter. I was breathless from all the laughing.

“Oh, don’t worry. He’ll be back in half an hour. He’s doing stretching exercises now.” Alice snickered, causing me to laugh even harder.

***

5:03 PM