Monday, August 3, 2009
Chapter 18. Theory


I reached home with mixed feelings. Jasper was polishing his bike when I reversed the Volvo into the garage. He sensed it the moment I stepped out of the car. I gave him a small smile to let him know that I’m alright. He shrugged and returned to his task.

Nessie had gone on a last minute shopping trip with Alice, Rosalie and Esme. So the whole house was only left with the guys. I heard a soft, familiar music coming from the house. I smiled as I followed the lovely notes of the heavenly tune, finding a smiling Edward by the piano.

“Welcome home, love.” He smiled as he played the ending notes of my lullaby. Edward got up and gave me a passionate kiss that caught me off guard.

“AHEM.” Someone cleared his throat. I had a pretty good idea who it was. So did Edward. We did not stop.

“Please people. There are others in this house too you know!” Emmett said after another minute, now annoyed. We finally broke apart, laughing. Edward took my hand and we went upstairs. He closed the door behind him and turned round with a mischievous glint in his eyes. I caught on to his mood instantly. Well, you could imagine what happened next.

“OH, COME ON! CAN’T I WATCH A GAME IN PEACE?” Emmett roared. We heard the TV’s volume being turned up, and it got even louder by the second. Even Jasper came out of the garage to see the commotion. He had to shout over the noise to ask what’s going on.

“YOU ASK THE TWO UPSTAIRS! I WAS ONLY TRYING TO WATCH MY GAME!” We heard Emmett shout over the racket. We stopped and look at each other; we wore the same grin on our faces. We ended up laughing like crazy when we heard Emmett swore. Mission completed.

The commentator’s voice boomed through the house as the game went on. I learnt to tune it out after a while. Propping my head up, I used my free hand to draw loop de loop on Edward’s chest. He smiled as I traced the line from the chest to his lips. I let out a small sigh. Edward lips turned down in a frown.

“What’s wrong, love?” Edward turned on his side, now facing me. I released my shield and ran through today’s event. His expression was a mix between amusement and worry.

“Hmm, interesting. Why Alice couldn’t see her coming?” He remarked. I was wondering about the exact question too.

“Maybe she did have a single vision about Faith, and she kept it from me on purpose. But she didn’t seem to be blocking me these few days.” Edward suddenly stood up and got dressed. He was buttoning his shirt when he turned around and threw me my clothes. I caught them and sat upright.

“Oh, except for the welcoming party she had planned for Charlie.” Edward smiled.

I groaned as I slump back down. That pixie-like sister of mine will be the death of me one day. Alice never misses out any tiny, insignificant reason to throw a party. I was about to pull the sweater over my head when the room door suddenly flew open.

“Hey! You are not supposed to tell her!” Alice suddenly appeared in the doorway, her hands over her eyes. I hastily grabbed the bed sheets up and pulled them up to my chin, flabbergasted.

“When did you get back?!” I screeched. She wasn’t supposed to be back this early. And the stupid TV did not help either.

“SCORE!” Emmett cheered loudly in his booming voice. The crowd cheered in the background.

“Edward!” I pleaded, desperate to be safe behind the closed door again. He laughed, and pushed Alice out of the room, closing the door behind him. I quickly got changed and went downstairs.

The house was finally back to the peaceful quiet as before, and I quickly found out the reason why. Rosalie was flipping twenty channels in a second, looking bored at the couch, while Emmett’s face was crestfallen now that he could not finish watching the game. I found Nessie curled up, asleep in the armchair; Edward and Alice were talking animatedly by the window.

When I went up to them, Alice was finished with what she was saying. She gave me a wink, turned, and skipped happily up the stairs.

“What were you guys talking about?” I asked Edward as he slid his arm around my waist.

“I was telling her about Faith. She really didn’t have any vision about her.”

“Oh.” I sort of knew that when Edward told me just now. So we were back to square one.

“But we did talk about some theories.” I looked up, surprised.

“The best one we could come up with was that she had some of your gift too. But so much stronger that she blocks out Alice’s visions too.” Edward explained.

“Hmmm.” Edward had told me before that he couldn’t fully hear Charlie’s “voice” too. So Carlisle had this theory that this shield thing runs in my family. Maybe this was the answer.

Just then, Alice skipped back down, holding a white box in her hand.

“This is not another gift for me, I hope?” I said as Alice handed me the box.

“Open it up.” I lifted the cover off and saw many photo albums inside. I raised my eyebrow and pick up one randomly. It was full of Alice’s photos, posing in every position imaginable.

“What’s this for?” I asked dryly. I had no idea why she wanted to give me photos of herself. I practically see her every day.

“Well, you better tell Faith about us before the party this Friday, because I’m planning to be there. I want to make another new friend.” At that precise moment Alice whirled around and threw herself into a surprised Jasper as he walked into the room. Their fingers intertwined; and they glazed fondly into each other’s eyes.

I shook my head. Alice may be annoying at times with her crazy antics and the constant party planning, but she could be so thoughtful and loving as well. I smiled as I watched the two of them head out of the house. I will never trade anybody for this wild, pixie-like sister of mine.


***

11:27 PM