Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Chapter 14. Farewell Party


We headed back to the main house for Xavier and Liz’s farewell party. They were leaving the next morning; off for another honeymoon trip.

It was amazing to how fast Alice could get a party going. She took off straight away after the game, giving strict orders that we were to take our time to make our way back. By the time we reached the river behind the house, I could hear music blasting from the house, and not to mention the decorations that she had all over the place. The back yard was decorated with tiny lights that hanged over our heads and the nearby trees, like those prom night scenes you would see in the movies. It was pretty impressive. And I swear it had only been a minute or two since she left us.

Though I was impressed by her amazing speed to decorate the place in such short time, I still flinched when we entered the house. It seems like she transformed the living room into my living hell. It was not as bad as the graduation party few years back, but still, it was bad enough.

Honestly I don’t understand why vampires have parties. We don’t eat, and we don’t drink; so basically, they just danced the night away. But dancing was still not an option for me, I thought as I watched Alice spanned happily around the room. Even Jasper looked happy and relaxed.

Edward knew party was not my thing, so he kept me accompanied by the couch while we watched the rest danced. I did not want to take any risk of breaking any furniture (or worse, the glass windows) by joining them on the dance floor. I often took people down with me when I fell.

Nessie came to join us a while later. She yawned as she settled cosily into Edward’s lap. It had been an eventful day for Nessie, and she was exhausted. Soon, Edward was cradling a sleeping Nessie in his arms. I got up went to bid farewell to our new friends. I found them by the grand piano.

“Hey, Liz. Nessie’s tired, so we are heading home soon. I came to say goodbye.” I paused and took a deep breath. I was never good with goodbyes. “Have a safe trip tomorrow. And keep in touch okay?” My voice shivered slightly as I gave her a tight hug. I’m going to miss her.

“Sure, Bella. It’s been so great knowing you guys.” Liz returned my hug.

“And thanks again Xavier,” I said, turning to face him. “I couldn’t thank you enough.” He smiled. He looked like he was about to say something when a voice cut him off.

“Liz! Xavier! There you are! I’ve bought something for you guys. Farewell gifts. I think they’ll come in handy for your trip...” Alice appeared out of nowhere and dragged them up the stairs. I laughed to myself as I walked over to Edward, who was waiting by the front door.

“What’s so funny?” He asked as we raced into the dark night. I removed my shield to show him my thoughts. I was thinking about what Alice had gotten for them. I wondered how they would react when they saw their gifts. Knowing Alice, her gifts to them must be similar to my birthday gifts.

Poor Liz, I thought as Edward chuckled.

“Her gifts are not that bad, you know. I loved the black lacy one she got for your birthday. It looked nice on you.” Edward grinned mischievously. I looked ahead into the dark forest instead of replying him. I was embarrassed.

***

I tucked Nessie in after dinner. She could barely keep her eyes open while eating. She fell asleep as soon as her little head had touched the pillow. I smiled as I watched her sleep peacefully. Edward was taking a bath in our room.

She needed a new bed, I realised. We switched her baby cot for this bed when she was four months old. It’s been a while since then and she had grown so much taller. In fact, she looked like a year older than she was on my birthday. And it had only been a few months.

I would have to tell Edward when he finished his bath. Maybe we could go and get her new bed this weekend. Closing Nessie’s room door, I went into the kitchen and put on my apron. The dishes are not going to wash themselves.

Knock. Knock. Knock. Someone was tapping impatiently on the door.

“Coming!” I yelled out of habit. Who is it? I thought as I dropped the dishes that I was washing into the sink. I was by the door in a second. My eyes widened with surprise when I saw the visitor.

“Jacob? What are you doing here?” Jacob had chosen to stay away for these few days because of our visitors. I had to send Nessie to La Push yesterday so he could bring her to visit Charlie. I was certainly not expecting him to show up at our cottage.

“Hey, you’re here.” Edward greeted him when he walked out of our room with a towel draped over his neck. He looked so gorgeous with his wet hair.

“Hey.” Jacob greeted back, ignoring my question.

“Nessie’s asleep. There’s nothing much to do, oh except the dishes in the sink. Thanks.” Edward took off the apron that I was wearing and threw it to Jacob. He then dragged me out of the door. Behind me, I could hear Jacob murmured something under his breath as he closed the door; something about car parts and dishes.

“Why is Jacob at our house? And doing the dishes for me?” I asked warily as we sprinted through the dark night. People had been ignoring my questions a lot these few days.

“I’ve hired him for babysitting. I was thinking of having some alone time for us at the meadow. It’s been a while since we’ve visited it. You won’t object, would you?” Edward winked and flashed me a smile that left me speechless.

***

1:05 PM