Thursday, July 23, 2009
Chapter 15. Unexpected Surprise


The time we spent at the meadow was wonderful. We did not have many chances of going to the meadow since Nessie was born, so last night was a great treat. The night sky was surprisingly clear last night; we could see countless of stars shine above our heads. Not that much time was spent on star gazing; we had more important stuff to do.

I laid my head on Edward’s chest as I watched the rays of sunshine slowly brightened the dark sky. Sunrise was my favourite part of the day; every sunrise meant a new beginning and another beautiful day with my Edward and Nessie.

Soon, the sun was up, and our skins glistered like diamonds under the sunshine. I smiled as I sat up and looked at Edward. I ran my fingers over his arm as I took in his beauty. He was beautiful, and he was mine. He had no longer referred his skin as the skin of a killer; I had helped to change that mindset of his. Edward looked at his wristwatch. It was 7am in the morning.

“Are we leaving already?” I asked as Edward sighed and got up.

“I got to head back now. They are catching the 10am flight.”

“Oh.” My face fell. I wanted to spend more time with him.

Edward must have heard the disappointment in my voice.

“Don’t worry, love.” Edward tipped my face up. “There will be lots of chances in the future. I’m sure Jacob doesn’t mind babysitting again.” He chuckled. Edward must be imagining Jacob in my apron. I smiled, my spirits lifting a little. I was already looking forward to the next visit.

“Oh, Edward? Can I borrow your car today? I’m going to visit Charlie later on.”

“Sure. See you later then, love.” Edward dropped his keys in my palm and gave me a light peck on my lips. He was going to send the couple off to the airport with Carlisle. I watched till his figure faded in the distant before dashing back to the cottage.

Jacob was sleeping on the couch, snoring with his mouth wide open. I picked up the quilt that had dropped on the floor and draped it over him. I went to check on Nessie. She was still asleep in her room. Closing the door quietly, I went into the kitchen and began to prepare breakfast.

“Morning Momma. What are you cooking? It smells so good.” Nessie stood at the doorway, rubbing her sleepy eyes.

“Morning, honey. I’m making chicken soup for Grandpa Charlie. Breakfast will be ready soon. Why don’t you go wake up Jacob? He’s asleep in the living room.” I told her as I stirred the soup. Nessie’s eyes lit up at the mention of Jacob. She took off immediately to find him.

Charlie had transferred to the Forks Community Hospital just yesterday. Carlisle had just given him the all-clear this morning, under strict orders that he had to stay home for another week before he could go back to work. Charlie could discharge in a couple more days.

He was ecstatic at the news; like me, he hated the fuss that everyone had over him and preferred the comfort of our home. He was upset by the home confinement orders; but he did not have many choices, as I stood by Carlisle’s decision.

I put their breakfast on the table. I heard Jacob grunted in protest as Nessie attempted to wake him up. She must have done something to him; he was up and chasing a shrieking Nessie around the dining table moments later.

***

Jacob left straight after breakfast. I offered him a ride, but he declined. I left Nessie under the care of Rosalie at the main house. I backed Edward’s Volvo out of the garage and soon I was on my way to the hospital. I had chosen to take Edward’s car today; my Ferrari would have gotten me too much unwanted attention.

Minutes later, I pulled into the lot next to the familiar white building. This place was smaller than the one in Port Angeles; which meant a lower occupancy rate. That was a relief for me; it would not be as tormenting as the past visits to the Port Angeles’s hospital.

I did something that I usually don’t do today - examining my looks in the mirror before I got out of the car. I was wearing a tan woollen sweater with black skinny jeans and my usual converse sneakers. The weather was rather chilly since it was still early spring. Not that I could feel much of a difference though. I pulled the baseball cap that I had prepared this morning out of the glove compartment and put it on. I checked my reflection again and decided I looked ordinary enough to blend in with the crowd, and different enough to avoid being recognised by any familiar faces.

Pulling the cap lower to hide my face, I walked briskly towards my destination. I had checked with Carlisle before coming this morning. I knew exactly where I was heading to. I don’t lack experience from visiting this hospital; my clumsiness had ensured regular visits when I was human. Turning left at the next corner, I heard two beating hearts when I stopped outside Charlie’s ward. Thinking that it was just a nurse doing routine checkups, I plastered a smile on my face and pushed open the door.

“Hey, Dad. I made you some soup...” My words were suddenly choked at my throat when I saw the other person in the room. Only she wasn’t a nurse as I had assumed. The girl had shoulder length hair, the same wavy brown one like mine, and even the same chocolate eyes I used to have. She rose when she saw me froze at the door.

“Bella? Is that really you?” The girl asked in a timid voice as she took a step forward. I was still in the state of shock; for I had not prepared myself to meet anyone from Phoenix.

***

7:51 PM