Friday, July 31, 2009
Chapter 17. Decisions


It was raining when we got to the entrance of the hospital. I ran in the rain to get the car while Faith waited under the shelter.

We drove back to Charlie’s house in silence. I tried to make small talk on the way, but failed miserably. Faith stared blankly at the passing scenery as we slowly drove through the quiet town of Forks. Her vacant expression reminded me of the time when I just exiled myself here.

The rain slowed to a light drizzle when we pulled up into the driveway of my old house. I picked up the keys hidden under the eaves and let ourselves in. I went upstairs to get towels to dry us off while Faith waited at the family room. I did some quick cleaning in my room before heading back down.

Faith was standing by the fireplace when I got back down. I deliberately made some noise when I walked into the room. She hastily put the picture frame she was holding back to its original place. I stole a quick glance at the mantel piece. It was a photo that we had taken back in the fourth grade. The two of us were involved in a school play then, the Wizard of Oz. We were in our play costumes, I had my right arm draped over her shoulders and we were smiling brightly.

There were hints of tears at the corners of Faith’s eyes. I pretend not to notice as I handed her the towel. I left the room with another excuse of turning on the heater; she needed some time to pull herself together.

I took the opportunity to make her a cup of hot cocoa in the kitchen. I wanted to make something for her to eat as well; she had not finished her sandwich just now. Upon checking the fridge and the cabinets; I realised they were running low on supplies. Charlie must have gone back to his dinner routine at the diner’s. I made a mental note to stock them up later during the night.

I paused and snuck a peek before going into the family room. Faith seemed to be alright now. I passed her the hot cocoa. She threw me a small smile as she accepted the mug gratefully. I gave her a tour around the tiny two storey house when she was done. The first floor was covered in a mere minute or two, so we proceeded upstairs.

We passed by Charlie’s room at the top of the stairs. His room door was slowly creaking open as the wind blew through the house. I went into the room and shut the window while Faith waited outside. I spotted my wedding photo sitting on Charlie’s nightstand as I went out of the room. I hoped Faith had not spotted it; I had no idea how much Charlie had told her.

I took her to my old bedroom, where she would be staying. I left Faith to unpack in the room and went downstairs. Plodding myself into the nearest armchair, I fidgeted with the wedding ring on my hand as I thought about today’s unexpected turn of events. I had answers to most of my questions, but some are still left unanswered. Alice should have warn me about this unexpected visitor, so why didn’t she?

I was still deep in thought when I heard a soft cough behind me. I stopped fiddling and hid my hand under the pillow.

“Bella, I’m done unpacking.” Faith took a seat at the couch. She hugged the cushion and stared blankly into space. Few minutes of uncomfortable silence passed. I decided to break the awkward stillness.

“Faith, what’s your plan right now?” I asked softly. She’s eighteen this year, so she should be in her senior year right now. But seeing her in Forks right now, it meant that she had no intention in going back to her school back in California.

“Honestly I’m not too sure myself. I’m all alone now that granny’s gone. I didn’t want to go back to California. Being alone is too much for me to handle. I can’t take it anymore.” Faith said in a small voice, hugging the cushion tighter as she stared intently at the carpet.

Another minute of silence passed. Faith took a deep breath before continuing.

“I guess I’ll stay here till Uncle Charlie’s better. He needs someone to take care of him now that you’re married.” My stomach did a double flip. So Charlie did tell her about it. “I’ll decide where to go after Uncle Charlie is fully recovered.”

I took a long unnecessary breath before I spoke.

“Why don’t you stay here, Faith? I’ll be more assured if someone’s looking after Charlie. You know he’s not much of a cook.” She looked up, surprised at my sudden offer.

“Besides, we could take care of you here. You can even finish your senior year here at Forks High.” I held my breath as I waited for her response. Faith had looked down again, back to the routine of staring at the carpet. She seemed to be debating with herself.

I got up and took the seat next to her. I carefully placed my hand on her shoulder, reassuring her. That was what I truly wanted. I’m sure Charlie wouldn’t mind either.

Faith finally looked up after a minute or two. She gave the slightest nod. I smiled as I took her hands in mine. She did not flinch at the coldness of my touch.

“Remember my promise when we’re kids? I’ll always be your side whenever you needed me.” Faith smiled as she gave me a tight hug, tears brimming from her eyes. But this time, they were tears of happiness.

***

8:03 PM