Monday, August 10, 2009
Chapter 19. Reminiscence


“Beep!” The horn blasted through the quiet neighbourhood. The curtain in the second storey bedroom shifted suddenly, and a pale face peeked out. It fell back into its original place and the house was still again. The front door opened few minutes later, and a messy haired brunette scrambled onto the walkway.

“Bella! Sorry, sorry! I overslept!” Faith exclaimed breathlessly as she climbed into the passenger seat. She fumbled around with the seat belt for a while before she finally got it. She heaved a sigh of relief and relaxed into her seat. I smiled as I sped off to the hospital.

Faith and I had been keeping up a daily routine of visiting Charlie at the hospital every day. After our daily hospital visits, we would head back to Charlie’s house and spent the rest of the day catching up on the lost times.

“Anyway, how did I get up to my room last night? I thought we were watching Titanic downstairs?” Faith asked, as I turned into the lot next to the hospital. Last night, we did a movie marathon of our favourite old movies. We were watching Titanic when she finally fell asleep at 4am. I took a liberty of carrying her upstairs to the room before leaving. Thanks to the super vampire strength, it was easy as carrying my biology textbook.

“You went up yourself.” I lied smoothly. I was getting the hang of it; I no longer had that nagging guilty voice talking at the back of my head. “You really have very poor memory, don’t you?” I teased, trying to change the topic as I parked the Volvo.

“Oh, really?” Faith scratched her head, and shrugged. “Well, I guess I take after my cousin.” She grinned. I switched off the engine and turned to face her. I was about to tease her back when I saw Faith’s face for the first time today. I could not resist a small laugh from escaping my lips.

“What? What’s so funny?” Faith demanded. She rummaged through her bag and pulled out her mirror. Her eyes widened when she saw her reflection.

“Oh my gosh! I look terrible!” She moaned. She turned once more into her bag and pulled out her bag of cosmetics. She began to dab furiously at her face. I laughed as I watched her desperate attempts to cover her panda eyes.

After ten minutes of teasing and countless reassurance, we finally left the car. I hid my face under the cap as usual. Faith was used to my secrecy and had even helped to steer away the prying eyes by saying that I was her sister from California. Though not many had believed, they had stopped questioning my regular visits.

***

We reached home at about one in the afternoon. I threw my bag at couch and plodded down next to it while Faith went straight into the kitchen to make some lunch for herself.

“Are you sure you don’t want some?” Faith offered for the third time; her mouth full of the potato salad she just made. I just shook my head and she raised an eyebrow in question. All the time that I was with her, I had not eaten or drank a single drop of water in front of her.

“Then again, I think I’m a little hungry.” I quickly admended.

Faith smiled, satisfied. “Great. Lucky for you I had made extras.” She jumped off the couch and headed back into the kitchen. She passed me a small bowl of the salad.

“Mmmm. Yummy.” I forced a smile as I tried to swallow the nasty things down my throat. It was like forcing kids to eat their veggies. Or even worse, capsicums. I shuttered.

I continued to plaster the fake smile on my face as Faith polished off her lunch. I quickly volunteered to do the dishes when she was done. Carefully keeping the contents of my bowl out of her sight, I slipped into the kitchen and poured the remains out of the window. I shivered slightly as I think of the puking I need to do to get those horrid stuff out of my body. Yuck.

“So, what are we going to do today?” Faith asked when I rejoined her back in the family room. She raised an eyebrow as I pulled out a photo album from my backpack and passed it to her. Her eyes sparkled with excitement when she flipped open the first page.

“Are they..?” I nodded as she squealed in delight. She began to flip through the album eagerly. She had been pestering me for the past few days, asking questions about the Cullens. I had tried my best to answer them, but some details are better left unsaid.

Faith kept commenting about the inhuman beauty that the Cullens had as she looked through the photos. I had somehow managed to pick out the “relevant” ones and complied into one album. Alice had protested a lot when I only picked out three photos from her personal collection. To appease her, I allowed her to decorate Charlie’s place for the welcoming back party. I regretted instantaneously when Edward reminded me of the previous parties she had thrown for us.

“Um, I have something else to tell you.”

“What is it?” Faith asked; her eyes still glued to the album.

“Well, my sister Alice, that’s her over there,” I pointed at the photo we took at graduation ceremony, “she had this idea of throwing a welcoming party for Charlie this Friday.”

“Really!” She squealed again, excited at the idea of the party. “This Friday... It’s only two days away! There’s so much we need to prepare!” She closed the album and began to blabber on about the stuff we need to get for the party. I smiled as I watched Faith jotted down the list of things to buy. I have a pretty good feeling that Alice was going to be right about her and Faith being the best of friends.

***

6:52 PM